Words from wise people are like water bubbling up from a deep well- the well of wisdom. - Proverbs 18:4
How quick are you to give your opinion on political issues, social causes? How do you express those thoughts? As much as I love Facebook and connecting with friends, it hurts my heart to see posts filled with anger and hurtful words. I'm sure it pains God's heart, too.
Proverbs 18 talks about the power of our words and thoughts. God wants you and I to carefully think about what we say. Our opinions can be a "well of wisdom" (v.4), "as satifying as fruit, as pleasing as the foods that fill your stomach" (v.20). When we carefully craft our thoughts, and base them on God's teaching, they will bring life to all. In this day and age, we need to think about what is important to God (and not us) and enlighten others with His words and love for all!
I found an article that I shared on my Facebook page a few years ago, and I thought it was necessary to bring it up again.It was in Relevant magazing in July of 2016 called "Christians, You Don't Have To Speak Into Everything."
While we have the Constiutional freedom to express our opinions, are our thoughts Biblically-based and God honoring? A couple of points from the autor, Tyler Edwards-
- We are ambassadors for God. We are His representatives on earth. People will often judge God based on what they see in us and hear from us.
- We have a responsibility to respond to these issues, not with our own personal thoughts or values but with the heart of God and the truth of His Word. Jesus tells us we are salt and light. It’s time we started acting like it...
- Do we need to express our opinion about every political issue, especially when the topic may have nothing to do with God?
- Are the thoughts Biblically sound? Based on God's word? Are they pleasing to God and truly represent His teaching?
The author gives us questions to ask ourselves as we craft our thoughts, and before we hit the send button-
- Does it need to be said?
- What does the Bible say?
- Does it honor God?
- Consider your bias
- Ask yourself why (you want to speak about it)
Take some time to read the article. Ask yourself if your thoughts are God's thoughts? It made me stop and think. I pause and pray before posting. If it's not acceptable to God, my post becomes a cute cat video instead...
More Recent Posts