photot by: georgia-vagim: unsplash
Everyone loves a good bowl of popcorn, but do you know that popcorn was discovered in the Americas thousands of years ago? If you enjoy this delightful snack, you may be interested in these corny facts:
- There are four main types of corn (maize); sweet, field, flint and popcorn
- Popcorn differs from other types of maize/corn in that it has a thicker pericarp/hull
- Popcorn is primarily grown in the Midwest; Indiana, Nebraska, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky and Missouri
- Compared to most snack foods, popcorn is low in calories: 30 calories/cup when air popped and 35 calories/cup when cooked with oil
- The number one use for a microwave oven in the US is to pop popcorn
- No popcorn is hull-less. It needs a hull in order to pop
- There are two shapes of popped corn, snowflake and mushroom
- The peak sales time for popcorn is the fall
October is National Popcorn Poppin Month. Enjoy!
For more information visit popcorn.org
NOTE- The JOY FM does not endorse any websites listed on this page. The information contained on this site is intended for informational purposes only.