About Bank of Dudley
On August 31, 1905, a group of 18 stockholders met in Dudley, Laurens County, Georgia, to discuss the need of a community bank. On October 2nd of the same year, a charter listing was approved, and Bank of Dudley opened for business in November 1905. On opening day, total assets were $25,000; $15,000 of capital stock and $10,000 in deposits. Bank of Dudley grew throughout the “Roaring Twenties,” and successfully survived the Great Depression as the only bank to remain open in the county.
The Hogan family, of which J.A. Hogan was an original stockholder, continued to lead the bank throughout the mid-1900s. U.G.B. Hogan, who owned a large dairy farm between Dexter and Dudley, was elected President in 1935.
Rubert L. Hogan, the son of U.G.B. Hogan, began working in the bank in 1922 and became President in 1943 and held that position until his death in 1964. His wife, Gladys Combs Hogan, who had served on the Board of Directors since 1947, became President in 1964. Mrs. Hogan was one of the first women in Georgia to hold these two banking positions. She chaired the board until 1998 when her granddaughter, Beth Vaughn, was elected to the chair.
Bank of Dudley has grown to five locations located along Highway 80 in Laurens and Twiggs County, with a new sixth location in Forsyth, Monroe County. The bank offers the latest in technology and banking products, while continuing the legacy of integrity, stability, and service, through personalized customer service.