The JOY FM Local Artist Airplay Policy
• To encourage people and strengthen the Church through contemporary Christian music media.
• To reach as many people as possible with our music, focusing on 25-54 year old listeners using the genre of Adult Contemporary Christian music.
• To proclaim the truth of Christ by playing the very best music available to us.
How do we decide what should be played on The JOY FM?
• Quality: Our standard is to play the best written, best produced, best performed songs and artists. All of the music we play must be professionally produced and recorded (no “garage” recordings). It continues to be our experience that Major label support most often provides the artist with a source of spiritual accountability, an environment conducive to developing their gifts and ministry, and resources to create quality art. We require the same quality you hear on recordings from Casting Crowns, Third Day, MercyMe and others you hear on The JOY FM.
• Spiritual Content: Songs should conform to lyrical criteria, as determined by the Program Director and Station Manager. Lyrics need to be included with all music.
• Availability: Music we play must be readily available for purchase by consumers and listeners.
A few things you should know about The JOY FM:
• We would love to play every sincere artist but, unfortunately, cannot do so.
• We receive TONS of music! Usually 30 new songs every two weeks. We review new music from Major labels as time permits, but unfortunately, not everything – independent or national – will get airplay.
• At www.thejoyfm.com we offer listeners the opportunity to take regular music surveys and help influence music choices. This is one way we get consistent feedback so we can deliver on listener expectations.
•Periodically we offer an opportunity for local artists to showcase their music through The Local Artist Spotlight. You'll hear announcements on the air and find information online at www.thejoyfm.com when the time comes to submit your music and info to us.
•Stay involved in the local Christian music scene. We’re blessed to have many active churches and ministries in the area. These opportunities are invaluable to gain experience and share what’s on your heart.
• Make use of our Family Calendar on The JOY FM web site (www.thejoyfm.com) – this free service will help get the word out about your upcoming concerts.
• Support The JOY FM in prayer. Investing in the lives of our listeners through the ministry of prayer is a powerful way to make a connection with them.
Please keep in mind:
• The JOY FM is certainly not the “be all, end all.” If the Lord is directing you into music ministry, do not let a radio station dissuade you from your calling. If getting radio airplay on The JOY FM “makes or breaks” your music career, you may want to reconsider what you are doing.
• Keep at it! Some of the most well-known national artists were rejected several times by radio stations and others in their first few tries.
• Not all music…even all GREAT music …is a good “fit” for radio airplay!
• We realize that one of the hardest things to do is tell someone their music is not appropriate for JOY FM airplay. Music is a very personal thing, and as an artist, your music is like your “baby.” We are not saying YOU are not good enough, or that the Lord can’t use you.
• Our management and staff ask for your prayers, that we would be led by God in making these daily decisions.
A couple of helpful resources:
Kyle Fenton Promotions
2000 Mallory Lane
Franklin, TN 37067
Gospel Music Association
1205 N Division Street
Nashville, TN 37203
We sincerely hope this information has been helpful to you! We’re excited about the tremendous talent that represents Christian music to our world. We continue to see many new faces, and are hearing a lot of new songs, from all over the world! Our prayer is that the Lord will continue to use this powerful tool to touch many hearts and lives until the day Jesus returns! We ask for your prayers that God will daily give us His wisdom in all of the decisions and opportunities that are presented to us. May God bless you as you live to serve Him and tell others about Christ.