STEM is the acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education. “According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, STEM occupations are growing at 17%, while other occupations are growing at 9.8%.”
STEM facts engineeringforkids.com
- STEM degree holders have a higher income even in non-STEM careers
- STEM workers play an important role in the growth and stability of the U.S. economy
- STEM education creates critical thinkers, increases science literacy , and enables the next generation of innovators
- Is critical in helping the U.S. win the future
- Only 81 percent of Asian-American high school students and 71 percent of white high school students attend schools where a full range of math and science courses are offered. Access to higher level courses, such as Algebra 1, geometry, Algebra 2, calculus, biology, chemistry and physics are limited for other races
- Only 16 percent of American high school seniors are proficient in math and show interest in pursuing a STEM career
- The U.S. ranks 29th in math, 22nd in science among industrialized nations
- STEM touches every phase of our lives; from designing roads and bridges to changing global weather
The Gender Gap microsoft.com
Significantly more men than women work in STEM careers.
- Girls and women have been a missing component of the STEM community
- Girls seem to lose interest in STEM and computer science as time goes by; 31 percent of middle school girls believe that jobs requiring coding and programming are unattractive. By high school the percentage jumps to 40%; by college 58% of girls don’t even consider these jobs as a career
“STEM education helps to bridge the ethnic and gender gaps found in math and science fields. “ We need students of all races and gender to engage in these types of courses so that we will have a pool of talent to meet future needs. In order for the U.S. to meet the demands and remain a world leader in innovation, we must improve and prioritize our STEM programs.
We must do more to encourage students, especially girls, to consider STEM careers. Girls who know a woman who works in a STEM career are more likely to feel empowered when they encounter STEM activities.
NOTE- The JOY FM does not endorse any websites listed on this page. The information contained on this site is intended for informational purposes only.