Highlights from Tuesday, Nov 24, 2009
Some conversation this morning about the new film, The Blind Side:
Dave smoked a turkey (from home) this morning! Seriously, he had his wife and two youngest sons ("Genius no.2" and "Genius no.3") check in each half hour to "coach" them.
- Hear the call to Emilie, who was spicing the bird inside and out.
- Here's the first check-in with Daniel ("Genius no.3").
- This caller defends Dave's need to supervise the smoking process.
- We checked in with Nathan ("Genius no.2"), who had some drama for dad.
- Emilie was at the store when Bill asked her how she was feeling as a mom having an early Thanksgiving meal with all her children.
- Get Dave's simple turkey brining recipe!!
Happy(?!) 150th Anniversary to On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. The book that set the tone for the modern, much-debated view of evolution, was published on this date in 1859.
- Bill told us what his church had been doing to study the subject as Christians engaging with Darwinian views.
- This young girl, a student, talks about trying to work out what she's learning at school with her Christian faith. It's REAL!
Since this is such an important, yet complex subject, here are a couple of resources to start an investigation of your own:
- Bill mentioned a "controversial" textbook called Of Pandas and People. Find out about this text and decide for yourself.
- The Wikipedia article on Of Pandas is "terribly biased," Bill says. But the article on "Intelligent Design," which includes Of Pandas, is excellent: well-researched and documented, balanced. Read it.
- The Access Research Network is an Intelligent Design website with tons of resources, links, etc. on this subject.
- Bill did some teaching at his church on "Origins: What's the Story." Read his last-class outline to see various ways Bible-believing thinkers have put together the truth of scripture with the facts of creation.
- WEB EXCLUSIVE: Bill talks through the above outline - a 30-minute "teaching" on this subject.